Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Sedation for Stitches, Glue or Nothing?

Yesterday morning (I don't even know how it came up), I joked with Piper that it was quite amazing that Max hadn't had stitches in his 3 1/2 years. Guess I should have knocked on wood...

About 2:00 yesterday afternoon, Piper & I were downstairs cleaning the playroom, and Max was upstairs with Steve. But then Steve left to go back to work. I heard a thud, and then crying. I sent Piper upstairs to check on him, 'cause this is an everyday occurrence, thuds and crying. She yelled down, "He's bleeding." He wasn't crying that hard so I didn't think it was a big deal, but we called Steve and told him to turn around and come back home. There was blood in every corner of the room, a bloody kiss print on the window even, but really no signs of where or what he hit. I'm guessing he climbed on the table to see Steve leave (he likes to wave bye), and slipped and fell.
It was obvious that his teeth went through his lower lip and out the other side. The inside 'gash' was 1/2 inch long. The outside gash was too bloody to see well, but I knew we were in for stitches! Dang.

Like every good mother, I made Steve change Max's shoes so his good ones wouldn't get bloody, and wouldn't let him put on his good coat ;) Red sweatshirts are better, right?! Steve made sure we had the iPad and off to the ER we went (thank you Heather for the quick response - I didn't even think at the time that sedation would have to be given to get stitches anywhere near the Tornado's face!, so the ER over instacare was definitely the right choice).

Oddly, I thought, he was done crying and the wound was barely bleeding by the time we even got in the car. The wait in the ER was long (thank you flu and RSV season)- thank goodness for the iPad. I kept trying to get a picture with my phone, but he was too wiggly or had his tongue licking his owie.

Three hours later, we saw a doctor who gave us our options - do nothing, sedate for stitches (which he may bite out before we even get back home) {did this doctor know Max or what?}, or wrap him up like a baby burrito and attempt to glue him back together. The gash on the inside of the lip was inside the lip closure line, so they were going to leave it alone no matter what. The outside gash was much smaller, but right where the lip meets the chin skin, so it needed attention, if we didn't want a jagged scar. I had to laugh at his concern for a scar. Obviously he hadn't seen Max's chest, and didn't look closely at his eyebrow. I told him I was pretty sure Max was one of those boys who would be scarred from head to toe by adulthood, but I thought the DermaBond was a good choice, even if he picked off the glue in 24 hours.
It took 5 of us to hold the baby burrito still enough to glue his lip back together, poor kiddo. But french fries on the way home made everything all better!


So, knock on wood, somehow Max has averted stitches yet again!

9 comments:

heather said...

Oh my goodness. After I texted you back I was going to mention that they don’t do anything unless it goes all the way through. But leave it up to Max, to bite all the way through his lip. Looks so painful! Hope he is feeling better today!

Heather said...

My 4-year-old cut his lip when he was 18 months(ish)and they put a stitch in because of it being along the border, like Max's cut. He had the stitch pulled out before we got home! We turned around and went back in. This time they tried glue. He had it pulled off within 24 hours. Good grief! I was more upset about the waste of time and money than anything!! The good news is that I can only see the scar when I'm really looking hard, and I kinda have to contort his lip to find it. Good luck and I hope Max is feeling OK!

Erin said...

Poor little guy. Thumps and bumps are common at my house too. We've had a lot of bloody lips and noses. I hope Max feels better soon and it heals up nicely.

Becca said...

Oh, OW! Poor little thing. :-( Glad he's been fixed up, hope he's feeling better soon!

Jane@flightplatformliving said...

ooo poppy did exactly the same thing when she was 3, i gave her a huge box to draw on and she was colouring on top of it and the folded side gave way and she landed on her face and bit through her lip! I left pools of blood all over the lounge getting her to hospital, hope he feels better now xxxxx

Cindy said...

Ouch!! That gave me chills just looking at it! Poor guy!

Julie said...

Oh my goodness!! So sorry that little Max had to go through this! Looks so painful. Glad he is on the mend! Hope the glue works well for him.

Sharron/Mom/Grandma said...

Wow... look at those beautiful, dark brown eyes. Boy, do I love this child.

Grandma Kimball

Sharron/Mom/Grandma said...

Wow, look at those beautiful dark brown eyes. Boy, do I love this child.

Grandma Kimball